Sunday, April 17, 2011

Valentine's Pizza


I keep hearing all sorts of things about wonder foods.  Let's set this straight.  Pizza is a wonder food.  It legitimately has all food group components you'll ever need.  Now, right now I am foregoing gluten, and this is from before I took that leap.  Someday soon I hope to create an almond-based crust (I have some recipes at the ready!), but since this was a good recipe for the wheat eaters out there, I thought I'd put it out there for you. 

1 T sugar
3/4 c water
1 tsp yeast
1 tsp salt
2 T olive oil
9 oz flour
Sauce, toppings of choice

Steps:
1) Proof the yeast.  That means add it to warm water (about 100 degrees F) with the T of sugar.  Let sit until there is a foam on top (5-10 minutes).
2) Mix salt and then the olive oil into the flour.
3) Using a fork, mix the water/yeast into the dry ingredients.  When all is almost incorporated, turn it out onto a floured kneading surface.  Knead until flour bends in when poked (20 minutes for me, 10 for some people).
4) Let dough rise for an hour.
5) Set the oven for 450.  Punch the dough down and roll it out.
6) Pre-bake the crust for 10 minutes.
7) Top with sauce, cheese and toppings of choice. We used a can of diced tomatoes with herbs as our sauce, some quality mozzarella and prosciutto for toppings.  
8) Bake until cheese gets a little browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment