Thursday, February 3, 2011

Breakfast chile relleno casserole







I. love. chiles. and. cheese.


I know some people don't like cheese or chiles, and they'd better just stop now, because all this post is is an ode to things spicy and savory that start with a tchu sound.


Somehow, when I just say the tchu sound, I feel the need to say "tchu tchu tchu... CHIA!"  I once had a chia Shrek.  It did not live a long life.


Tom frequently laments the fact that once I've made a dish, I just check it off my list and move on to new tasty things.  He would like for some of them to reappear.  This is one recipe that I come back to time and again.  It is great for a brunch or reheats nicely for breakfast in about a minute.  Plus, you get eggs, cheese and veggies all in one dish.  That's a sweet deal.


I found this recipe on Kalyn's Kitchen, a blog of which I am quite fond.  Her original way is quite good. I adjusted it a bit, but not in ways that significantly change the dish.  I added jalapenos just because I like things hot!  I also found that diminishing the cheese cut significant amounts of fat/calories but still had a good cheesy flavor. As to the eggs, well, I always put in 10-12.  I also regularly omit the spices while making this just because I'm lazy.  I also once forgot the milk as well.  It's still just divine.  


After rereading the above paragraph, I've decided it's a miracle I've ever successfully baked anything, what with my willy nilly disregard of measurements and absentee memory.


Ingredients:
1 26 oz. can roasted and peeled green chiles
10 roasted and peeled jalapenos
2 cups grated cheddar or mexican blend cheese
10-12 eggs
1/2 cup fat-free or low-fat milk
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. chile powder


1.  Preheat oven to 375F.  Drain chiles.  Spray 9X13 casserole dish.
2.  Cover the bottom of the pan with a layer of canned chiles.  As the wedges are triangle shaped, arrange them top to bottom to provide a somewhat even coverage of the pan.  Scrape out any seeds from the jalapenos and lay them cut-side-down onto the chiles.  
3.  Top with half of the grated cheese.  Add another layer of chiles and then the rest of the cheese.
4. Whisk eggs, milk and spices together.  Pour over the chiles and cheese and make sure it is evenly distributed.
5.  Cook 35ish minutes.
6.  Serve a sizeable square with salsa or sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment