Sunday, January 2, 2011

Egg and veggie biscuits



This recipe was blowing up the blog boards, so to speak, a few months back.  At the time, I was overwhelmed by wedding duties and moving duties and my new teaching gig, so I was living on healthy choice frozen meals (still am, really, but I'm weaning off).  However, this morning Tom and I were in the mood for something that I actually had a hand in.

This is truly an easy peasy recipe for a lazy morning.  All you need is a block of frozen spinach, a canister of biscuits, a pack of medium eggs and some grated cheese.  Simple simple.  Set oven to 350, defrost the spinach, spritz a muffin tin with cooking spray, stretch out biscuits a bit so they can climb up the edges as opposed to just puffing out (lots of puffing will still occur) and put one in each tin cup, squeeze liquids out of spinach and put a blob of spinach in each biscuit, crack an egg on top of each spinach blob, top of with a smidgeon of shredded cheese of your choice (I used parm this time and plan on using mexican blend next) and pop it in the oven for 20 minutes. Broil for about a minute more. Eat!

As a bonus, this is the cost breakdown and lasted the two of us for two brunches:
1 canister biscuits: 1.00
10 med eggs: .5
parm: .20
spinach: .7

Total for 4 meals: 2.40. Not shabby at all.  Better than McD egg mcmuffins, and it takes a lot for me to say that!  Also, total calorie count: 150 per muffin.  I had two, and that was an excellent start to the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment