Friday, May 14, 2010

Review: Bertolli pasta sauce

Now wouldn't it make your day better if you came home to this?

We all have those days when the most we can do is dump pasta in water and slather it in sauce.  That's okay.  It's better than grabbing McDonalds (which I also do from time to time, but only for their egg mcmuffins).  However, when you do this, you aren't necessarily seeking to just fill empty bellies.  You probably want something tasty, too.

I am happy to say that Bertolli offers great pasta sauces.  While I remain skeptical about their meal-in-a-bags, their pasta sauce gets a two-thumbs up.  I recently tried their tomato basil, and I was amazed at how much of a pop the basil in the sauce actually delivers both to your nose and to your tastebuds.  Back in my Italy days, I ate pasta for lunch every day.  I used bottled sauces and homemade sauces from Italian grocers, and I grew to love my midday ritual.  Recently, I have been working from home, and when you have a kitchen at your disposal, cooking a nice, hot meal for lunch is easy.  And, as it is spring and the flowers are blooming, I am reminded of the porches full of flowering baskets in Italy, and I want to eat Italian food. Besides, it's extremely economical--this jar put me back $2, the pasta $1 (and it's even whole wheat), and this fed me for 4 meals.  Not bad, not bad at all.

I will never, however, endorse that funky parm in a can.  It's not parm.  It's ... disgustingness in a can.  No matter how tired you are, you can always grate up some parmesan.

Also, I know what I'm reviewing next!  It goes into water or is used as a seasoning.

No comments:

Post a Comment