Thursday, May 27, 2010

An homage to the Chinese roots of Italian food



So, once upon a time I heard that noodles came from China via Marco Polo.  The Euro-centric snot I was, I squinted my eyes and remained dubious.  However, I have grown up a bit and am willing to admit that some of the greatest ideas in the world come from people and places completely unconnected to me.

This idea, for example, came from Giada de Laurentiis.  Now, I'd love to be her bff, but that's just not the case.  For now I'll just have to content myself with trying her recipes and passing them to you!  I did change this one up just a bit by adding marscapone for a creamy tang, though I'm surprised that this was my change and not hers, given how much she waxes poetic about marscapone!  She also fries hers, whereas I relied purely on baking.  The frying would make the wrappers a little crispier, whereas the baking provided a little more chew than was optimal.

I will say that I looooove using wonton wrappers for many things.  Fresh pasta is expensive, and wonton wrappers are reasonably priced and very easily found-- look in the produce section, often by the tofu.  While it's not "exactly" the same, it's pretty darn close.  Next up, I'll tell you about my home-made ravioli.  Yum.

Nutella-Marscapone Wontons

Ingredients:
24 wonton wrappers
1/2 container marscapone
1/2 container nutella
1 egg, beaten

Method:
1)  Mix nutella and marscapone together.  
2)  Spoon 1 tsp mixture onto middle of a wonton wrapper.
3)  Using your finger or a pastry brush, brush egg wash along two adjacent edges of the wonton wrapper and fold over.  Press tight to seal.
4)  Bake at 375 for 5 minutes, flip, bake 5 minutes more.
5)  Cool well before eating!!!!  These are high-fat, and when they get hot, ooh la la.

Best eaten straight away, but still quite edible at dinner parties a few hours later!

1 comment: