Monday, July 2, 2012

Keema beef curry



I keep hearing or reading people (I'm not psychic, but I don't *know* the bloggers whose lovely blogs I frequent) who hate to have their house smelling like whatever they cooked recently.

I've decided I am a freak.

I cook to perfume my house.

Also so I can eat awesome stuff, but mostly for that lingering smell.

Freak.

However, I would not cook stuff that stinks.  I will likely not feature jack fruit any time soon, even if I admit that I like the flavor.

This, on the other hand, is amazing.  I am drinking in the smell.  I could probably eat straight white rice as long as I could smell this while doing so.

Really.

But, I will not be doing that.  I will be eating the dish itself, probably for 3 meals.  

I found this recipe at 5 & Spice, a fabulous blog featured on food gawker.  I am unlikely to be featured on food gawker with my photos, but I am very thankful that 5& Spice was.  

Hints:  Chop veggies while browning beef.  It makes it easier, shorter and more aromatic for the chopper.

Ingredients:
1 lb beef (or more; original recipe called for 1.5, but I was unwilling to thaw multiple packages (so lazy))
1 yukon potato, diced into 1/2 inch pieces
2 T minced ginger
1 onion, diced finely
3 cloves garlic, pressed or minced (BUY A GARLIC PRESS!!!!!)
2 T curry powder
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can coconut milk
cilantro for garnishing

Really, that looks long, but it's super short, I promise, and you can find it all at your regular grocery store.

1) Brown beef while you chop other stuff.  Simply wander over to the stove, stir things around, return to chopping. Browning and chopping took me 5 ish minutes.
2) Add garlic, ginger, onions and curry powder.  Cook til onions turn clearish.
3) Add potatoes and stir around to coat in goodness.  Add tomatoes, broth and coconut milk.
4) Bring to a boil, stir around, reduce heat and simmer 15ish minutes or until potatoes are cooked through.
5) Add peas and simmer another 3-5 minutes til cooked or heated, depending on your peas.

Eat.  Enjoy.  Have seconds.  

BTW, this is pretty darn cheap, even with grass fed ground beef.  Keep in mind I do shop circulars and get some things from costco.

1 lb beef:  3.97 (yeah sale!)
1 potato: .67 (so, not a sale)
ginger: .37
onion .66 (TX sweet, good stuff)
3 cloves garlic: .25 (if even)
curry powder: .20
can tomatoes: .50
can coconut milk: 1.5

total recipe: 8.12.  Serves 6-8.  Per serving: 1.02 - 1.35

Better than the local Indian restaurant (in terms of price), no?


No comments:

Post a Comment