Monday, June 4, 2012

Chicken tortilla soup



A really easy recipe.  You just throw things in a pot.  Seriously.  This ain't the Cordon Bleu. The picture attests to that.  But forget what it ain't.  It is darn tasty.  I am fighting myself to keep from getting a second bowl before my husband gets home from work.

1 diced chicken breast (about a pound)
1 can of enchilada sauce
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp chipotle salt
1 bay leaf
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 onion, diced
1 box chicken broth.

Why are you looking for instructions?  Seriously, you just throw these in a pot over medium low, bring to a soft boil and cook 15 minutes/until chicken is cooked through.

I guess I did give you directions where you were looking for them.  You have me so well trained.

I loooove easy recipes, even when I have the "time" to cook.  Now that summer has started, I do have time to cook, but I as of yet don't really want to. You see, I got in this morning (i.e., after midnight but before real sleep) from my college reunion (GO WELLESLEY!!!) and then reported for duty to vacation Bible school at 8 am this morning an hour from my house.  When I set my alarm, it informed me that there were 4 hours between the time I set the clock and the time it woke up for sleep.  Let's not discuss the amount of time I slept/did not sleep at reunion.  I find myself almost asleep at this very moment.  Yet, I still made this recipe.  So can you.  Only, please don't cook your chicken too much like I did.

Also, you might want to do a shot of espresso before you chop the onion and chicken.  No sleeping on that part of the job!  You need fingers even for this haphazard assembly job.

I hear you can serve this with tortilla chips on top, but I am trying to avoid grains, so I will toss in some avocado (heck yeah) and cheese.  I also go a little pozole style and add shredded radishes and cabbage.

Cost:
about 80 cents a bowl.  So much better than the airport salad I got for $8!

No comments:

Post a Comment