Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Broccoli salad and the ends of things



May 31, 2012, I finished teaching, possibly forever.

For two years, I have sweat, cried and lost sleep over the collective 300 students whom I have tried my best to teach.  I loved them deeply.  They changed me, my life, my entire world in ways that I could not begin to explain over a blog.

The colleagues I worked with, particularly in the English department provided me with the mental and emotional nourishment necessary to get the job done.  There are some FABULOUS teachers at LGP, and I wish them nothing but the best as they continue to change lives every day.

We liked to change lives.  We also liked to eat.

In fact, I like to bake and cook, as you know, and so does Ms. Whitaker.  Ms. Whitaker liked to create unusual creations while I tend to stick to things I know or can adapt.  Ms. Whitaker, because of her adventurous ways, once brought us a boozy wine cake.

I tended to forget things, like when I forgot this salad in my fridge on the LAST DAY I WOULD SEE MY TEACHING FRIENDS.

So, friends, here it is.  You cannot lick the screen, but if you want, I will meet you any time, anywhere, to feed and repay you for your kindnesses.

Also, I would like to say that I have not loved all Walden Farms calorie free foods, but this dressing has enough backup from the strong flavor of broccoli and the salty, umami goodness of bacon that this was phenomenal and completely healthy (um, ignore the bacon, of which you only get half a slice per generous serving anyway).  You can make this a complete meal by adding in a protein of choice (rotisserie chicken is awesome).

Ingredients:
2 crowns of broccoli, chopped finely
1/2 lb of bacon, crisply cooked and chopped
1/2 red onion, chopped finely
1/2 bottle Walden Farms chipotle ranch
1/2 c chopped, roasted almonds
1/2 c craisins

Mix.  Chill.  Serve.

I am beginning to realize that I don't actually cook; I assemble.

No comments:

Post a Comment