Sunday, September 4, 2011

Roasted Tomatillo Salsa


  • SO EASY.
ADDS SO MUCH FLAVOR.

MAKES ME WRITE IN ALL CAPS.

That may seem like an overreaction, but I assure you it is not.  This is the sort of easy food that ramps up the flavor on anything you might want to add it to. It makes some mean chilaquiles, goes great with nachos, and blends well with white beans for a creamy dip.

That's without even trying.

Tom and I recently ate at a Salvadorian restaurant that was just to die for.  Delicious food, hard working and good eating ambiance, papusas made right as you watch.  I had a papusa with cheese and some sort of zucchini flower (I think), and the green sauce on the table made it out of this world.  I could take home the leftovers but not the jar of salsa.  I mean, I thought briefly about sneaking one out (soo good!) but decided that since I want to be able to show my face in that restaurant again, I had better not abscond with their property.  Happily, my own rendition comes scarily close.

On the other hand, I will never master those papusas, and the ambiance of a small, independently owned restaurant is worth the occasional night out.  At least I will have my salsa ready for left overs!

  • 1 pound tomatillos (about 8, each 2 in. wide)
  • 2 jalapenos
  • 1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
  • or 2 green onions, rinsed, ends trimmed, and chopped
  • 1 tablespoon lime juice
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro.
1) Roast peppers and tomatillos.
2) Process everything in the food processor.

Inspired by Renee Shepherd's Tomatillo Salsa found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment