Thursday, September 8, 2011

fajita feast



I love Tex-Mex food.

I will confess, my at-home Tex-Mex does not taste like what you find in a restaurant, but it does taste good.  It's probably because I don't douse everything in oil and sour cream (not that there's anything wrong with that, my way is just *different*).

The salsa I made, which you can find here, made the meal.  I might, however, ramp up the cilantro next go round.  Cilantro is one of my favorite herbs.

The tequila-lime marinade I used did not really float my boat, so I won't post it, but I will say that the steak that was simply salted and peppered before hitting the skillet for a brief sear was a win.  The salsa, fresh veggies and good corn tortillas complemented that simplicity well.  I would have keeled over from joy if we had grilled the steak, but our grill is currently out of reach.

Give that, here's what you need:
3-6 tortillas per person (some people seem to like to double up the tortillas; I like corn tortillas)
1/4-1/2 lb lean steak
1 red bell pepper
1 green bell pepper
1/2 sliced onion
1 avocado
1/4 c chopped white onion
1/4 c chopped cilantro
jalapenos
salsa.

Sear steak.  Let rest before slicing.
Grill/saute sliced onions and peppers while steak rests
Layer steak slices, veggies, chopped raw onion, chopped cilantro, salsa and avocado.
So easy even an exhausted teacher can make it.


No comments:

Post a Comment