Sunday, May 22, 2011

Lightning fast chocolate chip cookies (gluten and dairy free!)


Today Tom and I went to Blue Mesa for brunch.  Loveliness.  Then we hit the grocery store to get the goods for the bean salad for our church picnic. In addition to a simple salad, I felt like mixing up a little something something for us.  I've had cookies on the brain since someone at work mentioned that she'd made some with her almond flour.  I must say, this may be a go-to cookie recipe from now on.  Plus, all you cookie dough eaters out there (you know who you are!), this has no eggs and therefore no salmonella. However, it didn't stick together as well as I would have liked, so I might add an egg next time to see how that helps, and I might just use white sugar since cookies are hardly a frequently eaten food in these parts.

In terms of prep time, this came together almost too fast.  I didn't even have time to take pictures or take a sip of wine!  When I run out of time to sip wine, you know it's moving quickly.  Plus, they will be out of the oven before I even finish typing this post.  That's some easy dessert right there!

These use finely ground almond flour (not meal) for the flour, agave to sweeten and baking soda to leaven.  A more innocuous dessert there never was as long as one is not allergic to nuts.  As for taste, well, what could possible go wrong when almond and chocolate combine?

I got the recipe from Elana's Pantry.

Ingredients:
1/2 c oil (grapeseed recommended and used; it left a very light flavor; for those who eat dairy, 10 T melted butter works well)
1/2 c agave
1 T vanilla
2.5 c almond flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

1) Mix wet ingredients.
2) Mix dry ingredients.
3) Mix wet into dry.
4) Bake at 350 for 10 minutes or until light brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment