Thursday, April 28, 2011

Roasted Cauliflower, mushrooms and bacon with sage

Alas, this is a dish that my husband does not like.  I however, ADORED it.  I love the earthy combination of mushrooms and sage, but Tom thinks they taste like dirt.  I guess that if I feel compelled to use an adjective like earthy, he might have a point, but it's good dirt.  So, if you have similar feelings as my husband about sage or mushrooms, please exert your culinary efforts on something else.  However, if you, like me, like these things, please make this.  I loved the firm, toothsome quality of all the ingredients. It made me feel like I was eating a lot of dense food when really it was simple and, all said and done, light fair. At 270 calories per serving, I'm quite pleased with my lunch.

The only problem is that once I start eating bacon, the cravings just don't stop.  Baaaacccooooonnnnnn.......

Really, the title says it all.  All you have to do is chop up said ingredients, mix and roast.

You don't believe me?  Here's the recipe:
1 head cauliflower
4 slices bacon
2/3 lb mushrooms (we used baby bellas)
1 spring sage.

Set oven to 350
Chop, mix, roast for 25 minutes.

Cost:
mushrooms: 2.00
cauliflower: .88
bacon: 1.00
sage: .33
Total: 4.21, or 2.10 per person if served as a meal.  For organic produce, nitrite-free bacon, etc, not bad!

3 comments:

  1. So simple and healthy!! There really is nothing like bacon and mushrooms!
    - Brittany

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not really a mushroom fan, but bacon makes them so much more enjoyable. It's true what they say, everything really does taste better with bacon. Thanks for sharing :)

    -Chris
    Bacon Enthusiast

    ReplyDelete
  3. ive made this before but i did drizzle some olive oil before popping it in the oven. dont know how much that changes things....

    ReplyDelete