Saturday, April 30, 2011

Pollo/Puerco Poblano


Don't be put off by the suspicious blob that is the sauce.  That right thar is some good stuff.  I do admit up front that it looks suspect, but please accept my promise that it's tasty and only made of stuff you really want to eat.  I wouldn't lie to you.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, right?  So the fact that I feel compelled to go home and try to recreate dishes I loved is really a compliment and should not be seen as lost business?  Even when I share the secrets to restaurant-worthy meals at home?

Tom and I like to go to a cute Tex-Mex place known as Los Jalapenos whenever we get a hankering for Tex-Mex.  Los Jalapenos has good frozen margaritas for 2.50 and a wealth of tasty food.  However, I can't really speak to too many of the dishes because I always get the same thing: the pollo poblano.  Best I could tell, this was grilled chicken breast topped with sauteed poblano strips and onion and smothered with a poblano cream sauce and jack cheese.  Heavy but heavenly, heavenly but heavy.

I remade this recently and will actually have to find a new dish at Los just because mine was so tasty and much healthier, not to mention it was a breeze to whip together.  I use pork loin instead of chicken because that was what I had in the freezer, dusted with cumin, salt and pepper and roasted.  This is a pretty basic meat swap, but I feel this sauce is pretty universal and would go with fish, shrimp or steak.  I also used jalapenos instead of poblanos because they were cheaper, and I roasted them before creating the sauce.  This is the reason the sauce looks... questionable... but I promise it was a good move.  I served this along with some cilantro lime rice.

Ingredients:
12 jalapeno peppers, roasted and seeded
1/2 c light sour cream
1 clove garlic

1) Blitz it all together in a food processor.  Pour over meat of choice.  Devour.  Repeat if desired.

This provided enough sauce for 6 meals.

No comments:

Post a Comment