Thursday, April 21, 2011

homemade tortillas


So, I'm really not kidding about this not eating wheat... I promise.... I just have some photos that are backlogged...

Actually, I had lasagna this weekend because it was served at a friend's house by another friend's teenaged daughter, a budding chef.  It looked and smelled delicious, and I figured that was as good a time as any to see if gluten is really my arch-nemesis. As it turned, out, I should have fled, as I was ill all night. I guess wheat is the joker to my batman.

However, if it works for you and you like tortillas, you need to learn to make your own.  The mark-up on these things is ridiculous, and it's good for your arm muscles to make them.  Sure, they're not as pliable as grocery store tortillas, but they're not as fake, either. 

I used whole wheat flour, but http://budgetbytes.blogspot.com/, the inspiration for this dish, uses a blend.  

Ingredients:
2 c flour
1 tsp salt
1.5 tsp baking powder
1 T vegetable oil
3/4 c water

Mix the dry ingredients together, mix the wet ingredients together, incorporate.  Squish it all together with your hands until it stays a ball. Let rest under a towel for 10 minutes, them come back and divide the dough into 12 pieces.  Roll them out and then cook until they get the nifty blister bumps on a hot skillet.  Munch.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, making freshly baked tortillas can be hard work, but the end result is well worth it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They really are! Bread products give such a sense of satisfaction. I look forward to tackling corn torillas. Thank you so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete