Saturday, March 26, 2011

Jalapeno Poppers


Really, this photo is as good as it gets, because the vast majority of these were eaten by myself and Tom by the time we reached our destination.  The luscious cream cheese, the smoky heat of a roasted jalapeno, the sharp crunch of panko breading....OHHHH!!! THE TASTINESS!!!

Sorry, I got carried away on memories of glory.

But really, you should try these for any get together.  I am lucky; I seem relatively immune to jalapeno spicy oils when it comes to handling them and scraping out the seeds.  Other people get around this by using gloves.  Whichever way you prefer, go buy a pound and get to making!  I suppose they are *technically* an hors d'oeuvre, but hors d'oeuvre technically means "out of the work," ie, in addition to the main show, ie, whenever you'd like.

I think my translation should suffice as an excuse for making a meal of these....

Without further excuse making, I offer this recipe, which I adapted from http://www.skinnytaste.com/.  Whereas she eggs and breads, I discovered halfway through that my egg wasn't sticking and therefore was superfluous.  For me, a dusting of panko over the top of the popper was more than sufficient for giving that crunch.  Also, I had no chili powder at the time, and these were mighty fine without, though I imagine that would have been a delightful addition.

Ingredients:
12 fresh jalapenos
5 oz cream cheese (light or neufchatel)
2 oz cheddar, shredde
1/4 c panko 
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp paprika

1)  Set oven to 350
2)  Halve the jalapenos and scrape out the seeds/membranes.
3)  Mix cream cheese and cheddar.
4) Mix panko, garlic, paprika and salt and pepper for topping.
5)  Stuff jalapeno halves with cheese mixture, top with sprinkling of panko mixture.
6)  Cook at 350 for 20ish minutes.

If you can't stop yourself from devouring these, there is no shame. 

No comments:

Post a Comment