Thursday, July 22, 2010

eggplant ravioli



I was so tempted to call this egggggcellent as well, but out of regard for my readers, I abstained.


After creating the glorious nutella marscapone wontons, I had some wontons left over.  I immediately thought of ravioli.  I made ravioli from scratch last year, and without a pasta press, it's a very long and strength-demanding task.  I was not sure when I'd attempt it again before getting a pasta machine (on the registry!), but this seemed the perfect opportunity.  I desperately wanted eggplant, so I googled a recipe and went to town!


My one complaint:  Without any cheese, this seemed to lack substance and would be best suited to appetizer or side dish.  I plan to dump some ricotta in next time and see what that does.


I found this here, and it appears to come from Bon Appetit.


Ingredients:
filling:
1 medium eggplant
2 T olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 T dry white wine
2 T parsley
1 T basil


wonton wrappers (about 24-28)


Sauce:
.5 c red wine
.25 c white wine
3 T shallots
.25 container of marscapone in place of cream (now I just have .25 tub left)
1 can plum tomatoes, chopped
.25 tsp lemon zest


Method:


Peel eggplant and slice 1/2-inch thick. Salt generously on both sides. Drain on paper towels 45 minutes. Rinse and pat dry with paper towels. Cut eggplant into 1/2-inch cubes. Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Add eggplant and saute until beginning to turn golden brown, about 15 minutes. Stir in wine, parsley and basil, scraping up browned bits. Cover and cook until eggplant is tender, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to processor or blender and puree until smooth. Cool completely and then put 1/2 tsp into the center of each wonton wrapper.  Whisk an egg and use it to seal the wonton wrappers, pinching substantially. Let wontons rest for 15 minutes before cooking.


 FOR SAUCE: Combine Madeira, wine and shallots in heavy small saucepan. Boil until reduced to 1/4 cup, about 4 minutes. Add cream and peel and boil 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in tomatoes. 


Cook ravioli in large pot of boiling water until just tender but still firm to the bite, about 4 minutes for fresh. Remove with slotted spoon; drain. Divide among plates. Spoon sauce over. Garnish with basil. Serve immediately. Serves 6. 

No comments:

Post a Comment