Sunday, July 25, 2010

Teasing truffles

As you can see, one went missing....

I love chocolate.  I have absolutely no "off" button when it comes to chocolate consumption.  Entire generations of chocolate bunnies have faced my appetite on Easters past.  So it's no surprise that a few weeks back, when faced with what to bring to a dinner with friends, that I called up my dear love and negotiated a deal whereby I would finesse simple dark chocolate into something altogether more intriguing and exotic.  

Naturally, I first spent much time marveling at the beauty that is simple dark chocolate, and certain pieces of the chocolate made it into my mouth and not into the recipe itself... But I digress. I had a deep desire to create truffles, as they are such a decadent way to indulge, and because I can only eat one of them whereas I can eat dozens of hershey's kisses.  I wasn't keen on using alcohol as I was bringing these to a pregnant friend, but I wanted a hint of something exotic and whimsical.  And balsamic vinegar lingered in my mind because I'd heard a rumor of such a thing before though I've also heard of such things as bacon truffles, and yet didn't feel the need to make those.  Maybe it's just that bacon is going through a little too much popularity, and I wouldn't want Wilbur getting a big head.  Maybe it's that there is something so divine about good balsamic--a heady depth and richness that shouldn't be wasted on a mere side salad.  

While searching for the perfect recipe, I found this one! Then I tweaked it, because I couldn't help myself, and because I read a few reviews and took the recurring suggestions to heart.  Firstly, I added more balsamic.  Given the chance, I'll add even more, but for the moment, this is what I went with, and it rendered a rather delightful palate pleaser.  I will also say that these do not firm up unless left in the fridge until it's time to indulge, but that's not really a barrier to those of us in search of a divine chocolate truffle.

Ingredients

  • 8 1/2 ounces dark chocolate (I used Dove, which I find to be a simple and affordable base)
  • 1/4 cup cream
  • 2 T balsamic vinegar
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder

Method

Simmer water and create a double boiler in your preferred method.  In the boiler, put the cream and warm it up until you can put the chocolate in.  While it heats, chop the chocolate coarsely.  Add the chocolate to the cream and stir until melted.  Take off the heat and stir in the balsamic.  Put everything in the fridge for at least 2 hours.  
When the chocolate is firm, use a melon baller or teaspoon to scoop out a truffle.  I like them with rugged edges, and as it is, smoothing them out just makes a mess and spreads the chocolate on your hands and not into delectable little truffles.  Toss the jagged truffles into a bowl with the cocoa powder and flip it around in there until it's covered.  Remove and place on a plate.  Repeat until you've scooped all the truffles you can out of the chilled chocolate.  Keep in fridge until you hit a chocolate craving, and try to save some for friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment