Saturday, August 13, 2022

garlic+wine+lemon+garlic+garlic+garlic...+seafood



 Sorry, no photo of the finished pasta.... but it was gorgeous I promise

The local grocer had a special on scallops, which I love. Quick to cook, succulent and sweet, feel fancy with minimal effort (and at least for now, a reasonable price)! The local grocer also purported to have a special on deveined and peeled local shrimp. This, my friends, did not materialize though I visited two different locations on three days. Eva was with me on the second day, and when I grumbled about the false advertising, she said "well I guess they just want to get you into the store to buy stuff." I kid you not. Does she appreciate the guile she is describing? I'm not sure. But astute nonetheless.

Also, even though I left shrimpless, I was happy with my scallops as I could eat garlicy seafood of any derivation all day every day. 

Both kids loved the dish, though one balked when she thought she could have frozen yogurt instead, so there are limits to their love. But... if the next best thing is frozen yogurt... still probably on the good side.

Not having yet fully committed to low carb, I served this with angel hair pasta, which suited the thin, silky olive oil sauce well. I imagine (and will try) zucchini noodles would be a good fit. 

FYI this served us for two generous meals (two adults, one five year old, one two year old).

Recipe adapted from a few sources. 

Ingredients:

1 pound Angel Hair Pasta
1 pound bay scallops
1/4 cup olive oil
5 cloves (big ones!) garlic, minced or pressed
4 T butter
1/2 cup white wine (pinot grigio for me)
1 large lemon, zest and juice
1/2 bunch parsley, chopped
salt, pepper, red pepper flakes to taste

How-to

1) Dry scallops with paper towel. Add water to pasta pot (we used our instant pot) and get it boiling.

2) Heat olive oil in saute pan on medium high heat. Add scallops, cook 1 minute, stir around and cook 1 minute more. Remove from skillet to a plate/bowl.

3) Add butter and garlic to oil and cook x 30 seconds to one minute. Add wine, lemon juice, lemon zest and cook 6ish minutes until slightly reduced and no longer smelling of alcohol. Add in parsley and stir through.

4) While sauce reduces, make pasta per directions, stopping at al dente. 

5) Add scallops to sauce and mix well.  Mix in pasta and a ladle of pasta water as needed, I moved pasta straight from instant pot to saute pan, which meant there was still a fair amount of water transferred.  Finish with parsley scraps if you have them.

And, you know, go frolic in transylvania as you are temporarily repugnant to vampires.



No comments:

Post a Comment