Monday, October 23, 2023

Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end

I have meant to post, I swear.

As during my most recent "here I go again" post, I continue to be in training, continue to be pudgy, and continue to have an adorable family with differing dietary desires. Plus ca change....

I may return to keto, but I am not doing so right away. I have lots of stuff in the freezer that is carb-y, so I'll be working through that. I also do genuinely like carbs-- I was never one of those who was like "every low carb sub is as good as the original!"-- so who knows. If I can make progress without giving up my beloved pasta, I will. If not.... then I suppose we're back to zoodles. TBD.

I recently made time for exercise, which has been a great way to get back to myself. Too often, the days were filled with "wake, coax children into the day, work, cook, get kids to sleep, fall asleep myself........repeat." It was an interminable path to nowhere, and my job can be high impact on my mental/emotional health. Adding in a walk in the morning has given me a surprising amount of peace. Turns out I did need to "touch grass." I also am nixing my nightly wine as in reviewing my prior weight loss data, it was only when I did so that I made progress. YMMV.

For today, I offer nothing but my simple lunch for the week. I wanted something easy, tasty, comforting, and with sufficient protein. I used the TJ fried rice to add flavor... and because it was taking up real estate in my freezer. All said and done, I like it better as a side dish than as a soup component (it's AMAZING on its own), but it still made a great soup component. I ate my serving for today's lunch and felt appropriately full and content. I'm calling it a win, might do again and would add more broth (it ended up a bit stew-like) and some cilantro for a fresh pop.

 Anyway, without further ado....

1 block extra firm tofu from wal mart, cubed into roughly 1.5 cm squared (3.36)
1 bag stir fry veggie mix from wal mart (2.48)
1 bag Japanese fried rice from trader joe's (2.99)
1 box miso ginger broth from trader joe's (1.99)
Unknown amount of sriracha, salt, pepper, soy sauce. You do you. I did not add these into cost.

Mix it all up, heat to a simmer and season to taste. Distribute as evenly as possible into 5 lunch containers. I actually did not mix the tofu into the soup originally and instead portioned tofu into containers before adding scoops of soup, but that's not necessary for the average, non-overly-focused-on-unnecessary-details person. Took 10 minutes maximum.

Again, not low carb, but fyi per Myfitnesspal....Calories: 350. Fat: 11g. Carbs 40g of which fiber are 3g. Protein 22g. Cost: 10.82 for recipe, 2.16 per serving. Somewhat on par at first glance with the high protein progresso soups, but more robust, better texture, obvious veggies, more protein, and lower sodium.


No comments:

Post a Comment