Saturday, January 5, 2013

Italian pot roast



So, apparently I'm a sheet stealer.  As a naive teenager, I always chuckled at the hapless husband in every comedy who either kicked and thrashed in his sleep or stole the covers and was then relegated to the couch.  Silly guys.

Imagine my comeuppance then when I found myself with fully 3/4 of our covers when I woke up this morning.  The worst part is that I redistributed them during the night!  I legitimately caught myself in the act and tried to fix it! 

Thank goodness my husband is so skinny that he requires less yardage than the average person.

With this recipe, I might also become a bite stealer!  No lie, I liked it a lot. I think next time I will use a slightly more robust wine and use Italian seasoning instead of thyme-- the thyme was a little overpowering when it was the only player.  Also, the original recipe calls for dry/not oil packed tomatoes, but I have a GIGANTIC jar of oil packed and used them anyway.  What can I say, I'm a rebel.  They were still delicious, so if that's what you got, go with it.  I also wasn't feeling the olives, so I left them out and added a turnip and artichoke hearts.  

I served this over cauliflower mash with shredded Italian cheese.  As a sidenote, I am low carbing it, and this recipe serves 12 at 4 net carbs per serving.  As the carbs are dependent on the wine/veggies, if you just eat more of the meat, you will maintain the same carbs.  My cauliflower mash has 4 net carbs a serving as well, bringing a substantial winter meal to 8 net carbs (which totally fits for me!).  Surprisingly, it's the artichokes that will get you.  But aren't they worth it????  As it is, I do believe that an artichoke is probably not the ultimate evil carb.

My inspiration, from The Perfect Pantry.

3 lbs beef chuck roast after trimming
1/4 cup roasted garlic paste, or 20 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
1/4 cup roughly chopped sun-dried tomatoes 
1/2 cup dry red wine
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp dried Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp fresh black pepper
1 small turnip
1/4 jar quartered artichoke hearts

Put the veggies in the cooker.  Put the beef on top.  Cover in spices, wine and vinegar.  Cook for 7-9 hours.   Remove beef and chop.  Use some of the liquid to mix in arrowroot and mix back into veggies and broth.  Serve over something delicious like cheesy cauliflower.

No comments:

Post a Comment