Monday, July 16, 2012

Enchiladas Verdes Casserole



As established, I live in Texas.

It's a great state.

In fact, in the fifth grade, I was required to memorize "It's a Grand Old Flag" and "Texas, Our Texas" in order to progress to middle school.

As a high school teacher who received students from many levels, I feel the threats from my elementary school music teacher were empty.  "Required for progression."  Bah.

I still remember the Texas State Anthem to this day.  William Barrett Travis' letter from the Alamo is less clear....

One thing that unites all students of Texas, modern and past, is a quality enchilada.  For me, that will always be Enchiladas Suizas, tortillas filled with chicken and coated in tomatillo salsa and white cheese.  I did cheat a little and went New Mexico style with assembly.  According to my stepmother, they simply stack the ingredients instead of going through the painstaking rolling process.  That's a Lazy Chef approved enchilada style for sure!  I also used my coconut flour pancakes instead of tortillas and my own home-made green salsa.  The pancakes got a little soggy with the fresh salsa, but the flavors were great.

Tonight, I offer to you the simplest of meals, the makings of which are accessible at almost any supermarket.  I used cheddar instead of mozzarella or jack just because that's what I had in the fridge.

Ingredients:
10 medium eggs
1 c shredded chicken
2 c mozzarella or jack cheese
16 corn tortillas
2 c tomatillo salsa.

Steps:
1) Preheat oven to 375.
2) Layer oven dish.  Start with tomatillo salsa. Follow with tortillas, chicken, cheese.  Continue until you are out of ingredients.  Pour eggs over it all.
3) Bake at 375, covered, for 20 minutes and then uncovered for another 20 or until top layer of egg and cheese is brown and eggs are thoroughly set.

Cost: chicken: $1, cheese $1.50, tortillas: $2, salsa $1.50, eggs $1.  Total $7. With 8 GENEROUS servings, it's a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment