Sunday, July 17, 2011

Egg salad with avocado, caramelized corn, fresh tomatoes and bacon


OMG.  Sometimes, I cook things and neglect to share them.  They were forgettable, my photography stunk, I wasn't in the mood to blog, whatever.  This, my friends, needed to be shared.  Usually it takes a few days for something to get to the blog, but this was consumed less than an hour ago.  I feel a real sense of urgency for changing your lives here.

The idea for this has been flitting around in my head since a few days ago when I saw Pioneer Woman's egg salad with avocado.  Now, that's a darn good idea, but why stop there in summer when not only avocado but also corn and tomatoes are at their prime!  And how could you have luscious avocado, sweet, bursting corn and gorgeous tomatoes without adding bacon?  I can't.

This is more a dump bucket than a recipe, and I love it for that.

Ingredients:
8 hard-boiled eggs, peeled
2 ripe avocados
2 ears corn, shucked and sliced off the cob
1 T butter
4 slices bacon, crisp and chopped/crumbled
2 roma tomatoes, chopped medium
1/4 c mayo
1 T red wine vinegar
1 T Dijon mustard

How-To
1) Sautee corn in butter. Let caramelize.  Do a happy dance for the glory of caramelized corn.
2) Use a pastry cutter to slice and mix avocado and egg to desired chunkiness.
3) Add corn, tomatoes and bacon to egg/avocado mix.
4) Mix together mayo, vinegar and mustard.  Stir into egg mix.

We love this straight up, on salad, on bread, in our dreams....

No comments:

Post a Comment