Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Pomegranate Molasses


I have many fond memories of my childhood.  For instance, there was the time my grandmother accidentally made grape candy from the muscadine grapes that grew along her fenceline.  She intended to make grape jelly, but the boiling went on for a tidge longer than necessary, and when the glorious goo cooled, it was a delectable, spoonable treat even if it was not the desired consistency.  My sister and I happily sat on the front porch and nibbled at a spoonful apiece.

Flash forward to 2011, when I am making pomegranate molasses.  My house is now filled with a very similar aroma courtesy of the long-simmering molasses on my stovetop.  I have already sampled the goods from a cooled spoon, and  I am happy to say that this is a delicious condiment.

I had been wanting to try this Lebanese eggplant dish for a good long while, but it required pomegranate molasses, something that I just can't find in the course of my everyday life.  I mean, I think I know where I could get one it if I drove across town, but these days that's just not happening much. However, when I found this recipe from Alton Brown, I knew the molasses, and thus the eggplant dish, was in my grasp.  I also imagine it would be good for a pork glaze as one of Alton's reviewers recommended, and I know I've seen it required in other dishes.  Plus it keeps for 6 months.  Plus I can eat it with a spoon.  There will be no wasting.

Ingredients:
4 c pomegranate juice
1/2 c sugar
1 T lime juice (Alton's recipe called for lemon, but I am on lime's side)

1) Combine everything in a saucepan over medium heat.  Stir until sugar dissolves.  Reduce heat to medium low and simmer until sauce is reduced to one cup and has the consistency of a thick syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment