Monday, April 12, 2010

Yes, I do watch food tv. It soothes my soul.





I dvr many things.  Big Bang Theory and Bones are my favorites.  But majority are food shows.  Oh, the food shows.  My reigning list is:  Tyler Florence, Giada de Laurentiis, Sunny Anderson, Ina Gartner and Claire Robinson.  They all provide some intriguing combinations with flavors I love and styles I can relate to.  And, watching them take charge of ingredients and finesse them into meals fit for a king or at least for me is enormously calming.  I feel like all is right with the world.  Plus, I can pretty much do my coursework or job work and gather all the necessary info for the recipes at the same time.

Claire Robinson does this thing called Five Ingredient Fix.  The basis of the show is fun, fabulous food made with 5 ingredients and pretty darn quickly.  There are a number of things I look forward to trying.  For instance, I'm dying to make panko pecan chicken.  I love crunchy panko and luxurious pecan.  However, with an abundance of green grapes in stores and an undying love of gespacho, I had to start by trying her grape gazpacho.

The name grape gazpacho seems very non sequitur, I know, but I'm going to go with her on this.  I also admit to having been slightly fearful of the grape+onion combination, but again, her vivacious spirit and our shared southernness encouraged me to put today's fate of my tastebuds in her capable chef hands. In spite of my faith and good faith efforts to embrace the scallions, I can't.  I tasted before adding the scallions, and I must say, the grape+lime+almond+soy milk was delightful, and when I make this again, it will be sans scallions.  I appreciate the counterpoint that they make to the different flavors, but I felt that they overpowered everything else.  Besides, what's better than a lovely and simple five-ingredient recipe if not a lovely and simple four-ingredient recipe?  This would make a lovely soup course or dessert (think nouveau fruit and nuts) and perfect picnic fare.  


It's also ridiculously easy to make.  I slumped into the house after work today, blood sugar low, cranky and a generally unpleasant piece of humanity.  I shoved things into a blender and pressed blend.  Out came a lovely soup that livened me up considerably.  It's a great after school snack, too, getting in some good food groups.


Ingredients:
  • 2.5 c white grapes
  • .5 c blanched slivered almonds
  • 1 c soy milk
  • 1 lime, juiced
  • 2 scallions, white parts, chopped (not recommended but part of original recipe)
Method:

  1. Blend!
No really, that's pretty much it, but if you need it broken down:

1)  Blend soy milk and almonds until very smooth, 2 to 3 minutes
2)  Add grapes and scallions in batches, blending blending blending.
3)  Garnish with chopped scallions and grapes if so desired

Best if thoroughly chilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment